Saturday, March 30, 2013

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

IMG_0702Even though it is starting to warm up out there, this soup still gets the job done. Full of healthy tidbits and still tastes delicious!
 
You will need:
- 2-3 lb. stewing chicken
- 1 qt. water
- 1 qt. chicken stock
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 6-8 carrots, diced
- 1 bunch celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt/pepper
- olive oil
- egg noodles
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. rosemary, crushed


Step 1: In a large soup pot, drizzle 2 tbsp. olive oil and add the onions and garlic. Cook over medium low heat for about 2-3 minutes until translucent; add desired amount of salt and pepper while they are cooking. Next add the carrots and cook for another minute; add thyme and rosemary. Add the celery, cook another minute.
Step 2:
Add the stewing chicken, water, chicken stock, and a bay leaf (or two) to the pot. Bring to a boil, skim any fat, reduce heat to simmer, and cover for 2 hours.
Step 3: Remove chicken from soup, let cool, and debone. Skim any fat and put the shredded chicken back in the pot. Cook egg noodles and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love noodle soup. I buy the premade soups. They are terrible for your I know, but I can't get enough of them.

    You recipe sounds pretty sweet. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soup, specially for winter. My favorite is spinach soup.

    ReplyDelete